Memorandum of Association
In the matter of act XII of 1955, being act for registration of literary, scientific and charitable society for scientific activities hereafter referred to as Society.
- The name of the society: Society for Biomaterials and Artificial Organs India
- Registered Office: The registered office of the Society shall be situated at Division of Biosurface Technology, Biomedical Technology Wing , Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute for Medical Sciences & Technology, Poojapura, Trivandrum 695 012, for the time being.
- The Society shall assemble and discuss matter of scientific interest and mainly strive to achieve the following objectives.
Biomaterials and their applications as artificial organs is emerging area for biotechnologists, chemists, engineers and medical professionals. However, the fundamental and applied research in this multidisciplinary field is still in its incipient stages in India. The objective of this Society will be, not only to cultivate an atmosphere nationwide for the growth of basic and technological oriented research in biomaterials and artificial organs but also to bring the professionals from various faculties together to improve the quality of their approach in future research. This will be done by communicating to all members, by developing a Society’s Newsletter and also by arranging workshop with laboratory demonstrations, where learning and exchange of relevant concepts can be stimulated every year.
- The management of the affairs of the Society shall be entrusted in accordance with rules and regulations of the Society to the executive councils.
- A copy of the rules and regulations certified to be correct by the signatories of memorandum of association is filed with district registrar of Trivandrum along with memorandum of association.
- We several persons whose names and addresses are given below having associated for the purpose described in this memorandum of association do hereby subscribe our names to this memorandum of association and set our hands upto and form ourselves into Society under act XII of 1955 this day of 12 March 1986.
Rules and Regulation
- Society means Society for Biomaterials and Artificial Organs-India
- Executive committee means Governing Body of the Society
- President means President of the Society
- Vice President means Vice President of the Society
- Secretary means Secretary of the Society
- Treasurer means Treasurer of the Society
- Patron means Patron of the Society
The executive committee may nominate and enroll an individual with his previous consent as a patron on the basis of his record of meticulous service to any public cause. Patrons shall have all the right and privileges of a member except voting right and in addition shall be exempted from payment dues.
Membership of the Society shall be open to all individuals without any discrimination of race, sex or nationality and to the objectives if the Society. Applications for admission shall be made to the secretary. The secretary shall screen all applications and put them up to the executive committee who shall be the deciding authority to accept or reject it with assigning proper reasons.
3.1 Rights and Obligation of the Members
The members of the Society among other things will enjoy the following rights and privileges during the tenure of their relationship:
- (a) A member of the Society has the right to elect and to be elected.
- (b) Any member of the Society has the right to submit suggestions for discussion in the committee on any matter related to the interest of the Society.
- (c) To inspect the accounts of the Society on appointment with the General Secretary.
- (d) To forego his membership after due information in writing to the committee.
- (e) To pay his subscription within the prescribed time.(f) Defaulting members shall not be allowed to take part or vote in a meeting.
4. Office Bearers:The office bearers of the Society shall be the President, two Vice presidents, the General Secretary and Treasurer from the executive committee elected at the Annual General Meeting from amongst the eligible members of the Society. The office bearers shall hold office for one year and shall be eligible for re-election, provided however that the president shall not hold office for more than two consecutive terms.
The responsibilities of the office bearers shall include the following in addition to those which may be prescribed in the byelaws from time to time.
The president shall preside over all meetings of the Society and act as Chairman of the Executive committee. He shall be an ex-officio member of all sub-committees of the Society and shall have the power to take any action not contrary to those present to meet an emergency, subject to report to the committee at the earliest feasible date.
(b) Vice President
In the absence of the President one of the Vice presidents shall assume duties and powers as are delegated to him by the President.
(c) General Secretary
The General Secretary shall, (i) be in charge of the correspondence and records of the Society; (ii) convene all general meetings of the Society and of the committee with the previous concurrence of the President; (iii) carry out such other work as may be entrusted to him by the committee; and (iv) sue and be sued upon all matters relating to or affecting the Society
(d) Joint Secretary
In the absence of the General Secretary, the Joint Secretary shall assume the duties of the General Secretary. In other times he shall share the responsibilities of the General Secretary.
The Treasurer shall, (i) be in charge of all accounts of the Society; (ii) accept money and issue receipts on behalf of the Society; and (iii) prepare quarterly and annual financial statements and budget for submission to the committee.
(f) Editor (Publications)
The executive committee can assign to any of its members on consent.
5. No office bearer of the Society or member of its committees shall receive directly or indirectly any salary, travelling expenses, compensations or other emoluments form the Society unless authorized by the committee.
6. All donations to the Society are nonrefundable.
Minimum 10 days notice shall be given to the members for meetings with specification of the date, time, venue and the business of the meeting.
Twenty five percent of the members of the Society shall form a quorum for the General Body meeting. 33% of the members of the Executive Committee shall form the quorum for the Executive Committee meeting.
All funds and properties of the Society shall be managed by the Executive Committee. Funds shall be deposited in an account with a scheduled bank. Approved cash transactions can be carried out by any two of the President, Secretary or Treasurer.
An imprest amount shall be retained by the Treasurer for day to day requirements of the Society’s activities. The Executive Committee shall be the deciding authority in fixing this amount.
The accounts of the Society shall be audited by an auditor annually. He shall be appointed by the General Body of the Society.
9. Cessation of Membership:
A member of the Society ceases to be a member on (a) death; (b) resignation from membership by a letter addressed to the Secretary; (c) suspension owing to nonpayment of dues till the end of the year; (d) conduct prejudicial to the interest of the Society; and (e) on conviction of any offence in connection with the formation, promotion, management of conduct of the Society’s affair.
A register of all members with their name, occupation and addresses will be maintained. The register will be open for all members.
11.1 Powers and duties of Executive Committee
(a) The Society shall have powers to do lawful acts, and make change as may be required with time and circumstances for the fulfillment of the above aims.
(b) The Executive Committee shall have the power to manage the affairs of the Society according to the rules and regulations of the Society.
(c) There shall be an Executive Committee consisting of upto twelve to fourteen elected members. The election of members of the Executive Committee shall be conducted in annual General meeting; the standing Executive Committee shall convene the meeting in which a general body member and an Executive Committee member shall sit as returning officers, none of whom shall be nominees. The office bearers consisting of one President, two Vice presidents, one General Secretary, one Joint Secretary, Treasurer and one Editor (Publications) shall be elected by the Executive Committee from amongst its members.
11.2 Powers and duties of the President
To exercise such powers of functions as are provided by the regulation and such other powers as are delegated by the Executive Committee from time to time. The powers of the other office-bearers are described in item 4.
12. Amendment of the rules is possible only by the general body.
13. Dissolution: All aspects including the property and the funds of the society, general body shall decide.
14. Subscription and Admission Fee:*(see footnote):
14.1 Admission fee: Rs 10/-
Membership-Annual: Rs 25/-
Life: Rs 200/-
Organisational: Rs 500/-
Foreign: US$ 50/-(Life Membership)
Organisational (Foreign): US$ 200/-
Additional charge for outstation cheque: Rs 5/- Cheque or draft should be payable to ‘Society for Biomaterials and Artificial Organs – India’
14.2 Membership period shall be dated from Januray 1 to December 31, each year.
14.3 Cheque should be payable to “Society for Biomaterials and Artificial Organs”
15. First Executive Committee
15.1 A twelve member committee was formed based on the election from forty consented members of the Society organized by Dr. Chandra P. Sharma at BMT Wing of SCTIMST on January 3, 1986 with the approval of Director, SCTIMST.
15.2 This committee met on February 12, 1986 and elected the office bearers namely President, Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer and also approved the addition of two more members making it fourteen member committee.
The first executive committee is as follows:
- Dr. Chandra P. Sharma – President (SCTIMST)
- Prof. D. Joseph Francis – Vice President (Cochin University)
- Dr. S.R. Uttarwar – Secretary (Keltron)
- Shri. V.S. Venkatesan – Treasurer (SCTIMST)
- Shri. A.V. Ramani – Member (SCTIMST)
- Shri. G.S. Bhuvaneshwar – Member (SCTIMST)
- Dr. M. Jamaludin – Member (SCTIMST)
- Dr. Mira Mohanty – Member (SCTIMST)
- Dr. A. Jayakrishnan – Member (SCTIMST)
- Prof P. Vasudevan – Member (IIT, Delhi)
- Dr. Narendra Bhadra – Member (Jadavpur University)
- Dr. Ajith K. Banthia – Member (IIT, Kharagpur)
- Prof Subrata Pal – Member (Jadavpur University)
- Shri K. Rathinam – Member (SCTIMST)
In all circumstances the Society will be functioning in accordance with the provisions of Cochin Literary and Scientific Act XII of 1955 and all the provisions of the said act will be applicable to the Society.
We undersigned members of the Executive Council do hereby certify that this is correct copy of the rules and regulations of the said Society.
This is time, 12th day of March at Trivandrum,, 1986.
Dr. Chandra P. Sharma, President (s/d)
Dr. S.R. Uttarwar, Secretary (s/d)
Shri V.S. Venkateshan, Treasurer (s/d)
*Current Membership Fee Structure
With effect from 1 April 2020
Life Member, Indian (LM): Rs 6000.00*
Life Member, Foreign (FM): US$ 100.00
Organizational Member, Indian (OM): Rs 20000.00*
Organizational Member, Foreign (OMF): US$ 300.00
* by Demand Draft/Cheque in favor of “Society for Biomaterials and Artificial Organs” and payable at Thiruvananthapuram – Add Rs 100/- for outstation cheques OR by Online Transaction (Enter the Transaction No. in the application form)
For NEFT transactions
Bank: The Kerala State Cooperative Bank Ltd.
Account Number: 007012000000070
Account Type: Savings
IFSC Code: KSBK0000007
MICR Code: 695177007
Changes / Addition / Deletion In Rules & Regulations
Presented and approved by various General Body Meetings of SBAOI held along with National Conferences at different institutes
Will be added soon.